By Bernard Faure
- A interesting, brief publication that demanding situations us to strip away present preconceptions we could have approximately Buddhism
- Considers questions reminiscent of: do we speak of Buddhism as a unified faith or are there many Buddhisms? Is Buddhism a faith of tolerance and pacifism as many of us imagine? And is Buddhism a faith with no god(s), or is it extra of a philosophy than a religion?
- Traces the fundamental heritage, ideals and nature of Buddhism in easy-to-understand language
- Written by way of popular Buddhist pupil, Bernard Faure, it really is an awesome creation for a person who has unanswered questions about one of many world's biggest and most well-liked religions
Read or Download Unmasking Buddhism PDF
Best buddhism books
This fantastically written paintings sheds new mild at the origins and nature of Mahayana Buddhism with shut readings of 4 recognized texts—the Lotus Sutra, Diamond Sutra, Tathagatagarbha Sutra, and Vimalakirtinirdesa. Treating those sutras as literary works instead of as straight forward philosophic or doctrinal treatises, Alan Cole argues that those writings have been conscientiously sculpted to undermine conventional monastic Buddhism and to realize legitimacy and authority for Mahayana Buddhism because it used to be veering clear of Buddhism’s older oral and institutional varieties.
Chacune des grandes religions est porteuse de sagesse. C'est le element de départ de cette assortment qui suggest 20 méditations pour penser sa vie et donner du sens à son lifestyles. Faut-il chercher à tout savoir ? Sommes-nous responsable de ce qui nous arrive ? Peut-on maîtriser ses émotions ? Doit-on souffrir pour se réaliser ?
In early medieval China enormous quantities of Buddhist miracle texts have been circulated, inaugurating a development that will proceed for hundreds of years. each one story mentioned awesome occasions regarding chinese language folks and places—events visible as verifying claims made in Buddhist scriptures, demonstrating the truth of karmic retribution, or confirming the efficacy of Buddhist devotional practices.
Buyers and Patriarchs breaks new flooring within the research of clergy-court family members throughout the tumultuous interval that spanned the cave in of the Tang dynasty (618–907) and the consolidation of the Northern tune (960–1127). this period, often called the 5 Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms, has normally been characterised as a time of debilitating violence and instability, however it additionally introduced elevated financial prosperity, neighborhood improvement, and political autonomy to southern territories.
- Fearless Death - Buddhist Wisdom on the Art of Dying
- Dancing with Fire: A Mindful Way to Loving Relationships
- The Essential Sangharakshita: A Half-Century of Writings from the Founder of the Friends of the Western Buddhist Order
- The Lankavatara Sutra: Translation and Commentary
Additional info for Unmasking Buddhism
Unmasking Buddhism by Bernard Faure