By David Light Shields,Brenda Light Bredemeier
Read or Download True Competition PDF
Best sociology of sports books
There are a huge number of intercourse and gender resonances in game, from the conflict of conventional principles of femininity and athleticism represented by way of woman athletes, to the tradition of homophobia in mainstream male game. regardless of the numerous sociological and cultural volumes addressing those matters, this assortment is the 1st to target the philosophical writings that they've encouraged.
With a global line-up of individuals, this book examines demanding situations to racism in and during activity. It addresses the various brokers of swap within the context of wider socio-political shifts and explores problems with coverage formation, practices in game and anti-racism in game, and the problem to recreation this day.
The Washington Redskins franchise continues to be probably the most invaluable in specialist activities, partly as a result of its simply recognizable, well known, and ecocnomic model. And but “redskins” is a derogatory identify for American Indians. The variety of grassroots campaigns to alter the identify has risen lately regardless of the present crew owner’s statement that the staff won't ever accomplish that.
Mega-events symbolize a massive second within the lifetime of a urban, delivering an invaluable lens wherein we could examine their cultural, social, political and monetary improvement. within the wake of the foreign Olympic Committee’s (IOC’s) issues approximately ’gigantism’ and wider public issues approximately emerging expenses, it was once crucial within the C21st to illustrate the long run advantages that arose for town and international locations from website hosting most desirable physical games.
- Sport, Gender and Power: The Rise of Roller Derby (Gender, Bodies and Transformation)
- Routledge Handbook of Sport and New Media (Routledge International Handbooks)
- On South Bank: The Production of Public Space (Re-materialising Cultural Geography)
- Lifestyle Mobilities: Intersections of Travel, Leisure and Migration (Current Developments in the Geographies of Leisure and Touri)
- How Canadians Communicate V: Sports: 5 (Athabasca University Press)
- The Politics of Sport: Community, Mobility, Identity (Sport in the Global Society – Contemporary Perspectives)
Extra resources for True Competition
True Competition by David Light Shields,Brenda Light Bredemeier