By Martin Roderick
A long-term examine supplying infrequent insights into the precarious profession and traditional operating tradition footballers. clear of the celebrity-obsessed media gaze, the paintings of a pro footballer is never glamorous and for many players a occupation in football is insecure and short-lived.
A former expert, Martin Roderick’s familiarity with the area of soccer is the root for this privileged study right into a international that's usually closed to the general public gaze and overlooked by means of media reportage and educational learn which prefers to target a small, unrepresentative workforce of elite gamers. Key issues explored in the textual content comprise:
- the tradition of labor in expert football
- the altering id, orientation and expectancies of gamers in the course of their careers
- the fragile and unsure nature game careers
- the functionality and dramatic elements of a profession lower than public scrutiny
- the position of relationships with managers, vendors, aid employees and partners
- players' responses to the insecurities inherent in specialist soccer reminiscent of damage, getting older, functionality and transfer.
The textual content bargains with a variety of problems with curiosity to activities scholars and lecturers, fairly people with a spotlight at the sociology of game but additionally together with recreation improvement, activity administration and training reports. The textual content can also be of curiosity to researchers within the fields of careers, business kinfolk and the sociology of labor.
Read Online or Download The Work of Professional Football: A Labour of Love? PDF
Similar sociology of sports books
There are a vast number of intercourse and gender resonances in activity, from the conflict of conventional principles of femininity and athleticism represented via girl athletes, to the tradition of homophobia in mainstream male activity. regardless of the various sociological and cultural volumes addressing those matters, this assortment is the 1st to target the philosophical writings that they have got encouraged.
With a world line-up of participants, this book examines demanding situations to racism in and during recreation. It addresses the various brokers of switch within the context of wider socio-political shifts and explores problems with coverage formation, practices in activity and anti-racism in game, and the problem to game this day.
The Washington Redskins franchise is still essentially the most helpful in specialist activities, partially as a result of its simply recognizable, well known, and ecocnomic model. And but “redskins” is a derogatory identify for American Indians. The variety of grassroots campaigns to alter the identify has risen lately regardless of the present staff owner’s statement that the workforce won't ever accomplish that.
Mega-events signify an immense second within the lifetime of a urban, delivering an invaluable lens in which we may perhaps examine their cultural, social, political and financial improvement. within the wake of the foreign Olympic Committee’s (IOC’s) issues approximately ’gigantism’ and wider public issues approximately emerging expenses, it was once valuable within the C21st to illustrate the longer term advantages that arose for town and countries from webhosting best exercises.
- The Serious Leisure Perspective: An Introduction
- Heritage, Sport and Tourism: Sporting Pasts – Tourist Futures (Sport in the Global Society)
- The Politics and Culture of Modern Sports
- Using Physical Activity and Sport to Teach Personal and Social Responsibility
- The Ethics of Sport: Essential Readings
- Running across Europe: The Rise and Size of one of the Largest Sport Markets
Additional resources for The Work of Professional Football: A Labour of Love?
The Work of Professional Football: A Labour of Love? by Martin Roderick