By Owen Flanagan
Read or Download The Bodhisattva's Brain: Buddhism Naturalized (MIT Press) PDF
Best buddhism books
This fantastically written paintings sheds new gentle at the origins and nature of Mahayana Buddhism with shut readings of 4 famous texts—the Lotus Sutra, Diamond Sutra, Tathagatagarbha Sutra, and Vimalakirtinirdesa. Treating those sutras as literary works instead of as user-friendly philosophic or doctrinal treatises, Alan Cole argues that those writings have been conscientiously sculpted to undermine conventional monastic Buddhism and to realize legitimacy and authority for Mahayana Buddhism because it was once veering clear of Buddhism’s older oral and institutional kinds.
Chacune des grandes religions est porteuse de sagesse. C'est le element de départ de cette assortment qui suggest 20 méditations pour penser sa vie et donner du sens à son lifestyles. Faut-il chercher à tout savoir ? Sommes-nous responsable de ce qui nous arrive ? Peut-on maîtriser ses émotions ? Doit-on souffrir pour se réaliser ?
In early medieval China hundreds of thousands of Buddhist miracle texts have been circulated, inaugurating a development that will proceed for hundreds of years. every one story stated notable occasions related to chinese language individuals and places—events visible as verifying claims made in Buddhist scriptures, demonstrating the truth of karmic retribution, or confirming the efficacy of Buddhist devotional practices.
Buyers and Patriarchs breaks new floor within the learn of clergy-court family members through the tumultuous interval that spanned the cave in of the Tang dynasty (618–907) and the consolidation of the Northern track (960–1127). this period, referred to as the 5 Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms, has as a rule been characterised as a time of debilitating violence and instability, however it additionally introduced elevated fiscal prosperity, nearby improvement, and political autonomy to southern territories.
- Discipline and Debate: The Language of Violence in a Tibetan Buddhist Monastery
- Die sanfte Wandlung des Bullen: Die zehn Bullenbilder – Eine spirituelle Reise (German Edition)
- Mantras: Was sie bedeuten, wie man sie einsetzt, warum sie helfen (German Edition)
- Modern Buddhist Healing: A Spiritual Strategy for Transcending Pain, Dis-Ease, and Death
- The Path: A Guide to Happiness
- Courtesans and Tantric Consorts: Sexualities in Buddhist Narrative, Iconography, and Ritual: Sexualities in Buddhist Narrative, Iconography and Ritual
Additional resources for The Bodhisattva's Brain: Buddhism Naturalized (MIT Press)
The Bodhisattva's Brain: Buddhism Naturalized (MIT Press) by Owen Flanagan