By Phil Hubbard
Read Online or Download The Battle for the High Street: Retail Gentrification, Class and Disgust PDF
Best sociology of sports books
There are a extensive number of intercourse and gender resonances in activity, from the conflict of conventional principles of femininity and athleticism represented through woman athletes, to the tradition of homophobia in mainstream male game. regardless of the various sociological and cultural volumes addressing those matters, this assortment is the 1st to target the philosophical writings that they've encouraged.
With a global line-up of individuals, this book examines demanding situations to racism in and during game. It addresses the various brokers of swap within the context of wider socio-political shifts and explores problems with coverage formation, practices in activity and anti-racism in game, and the problem to recreation at the present time.
The Washington Redskins franchise continues to be the most invaluable in specialist activities, partly as a result of its simply recognizable, renowned, and ecocnomic model. And but “redskins” is a derogatory identify for American Indians. The variety of grassroots campaigns to alter the identify has risen in recent times regardless of the present crew owner’s statement that the group won't ever achieve this.
Mega-events signify an enormous second within the lifetime of a urban, delivering an invaluable lens during which we could examine their cultural, social, political and fiscal improvement. within the wake of the overseas Olympic Committee’s (IOC’s) issues approximately ’gigantism’ and wider public issues approximately emerging expenses, it used to be significant within the C21st to illustrate the long run advantages that arose for town and countries from website hosting foremost physical games.
- Understanding Lifestyle Migration: Theoretical Approaches to Migration and the Quest for a Better Way of Life (Migration, Diasporas and Citizenship)
- American Sports: An Anthropological Approach (Sport in the Global Society)
- Women Sport Fans: Identification, Participation, Representation (Routledge Research in Sport, Culture and Society)
- Sport, Coaching and Intellectual Disability
- The Edge: The War against Cheating and Corruption in the Cutthroat World of Elite Sports
- Sport in Prison: Exploring the Role of Physical Activity in Correctional Settings (Routledge Research in Sport, Culture and Society)
Extra info for The Battle for the High Street: Retail Gentrification, Class and Disgust
The Battle for the High Street: Retail Gentrification, Class and Disgust by Phil Hubbard