By Mike Huggins,Jack Williams
A thorough, cutting edge but exciting and readable research of recreation as an expression of the values and social kin of a kingdom. masking the years among the 2 global Wars, the primary position of activity in English lifestyles is introduced into sharp concentration, supplying perception into problems with gender, classification, faith and locality, principles of morality, continuity and alter, and what it intended to be English in this pivotal time.
- the nature of activity and its position in nationwide existence
- how recreation used to be portrayed within the media and during the activities stars of the age
- tradition and alter in activity and in society
- gaining which means from recreation: the pursuit of delight, an ethical code, and concepts of Englishness
- class, social clash and social cohesion.
This unique and lucid research is perfect for college kids of game and social background, and a person with an curiosity within the social position of game.
Read or Download Sport and the English, 1918-1939: Between the Wars PDF
Similar sociology of sports books
There are a vast number of intercourse and gender resonances in game, from the conflict of conventional rules of femininity and athleticism represented by means of lady athletes, to the tradition of homophobia in mainstream male activity. regardless of the numerous sociological and cultural volumes addressing those matters, this assortment is the 1st to target the philosophical writings that they've encouraged.
With a world line-up of members, this book examines demanding situations to racism in and during activity. It addresses different brokers of switch within the context of wider socio-political shifts and explores problems with coverage formation, practices in game and anti-racism in activity, and the problem to recreation this present day.
The Washington Redskins franchise is still the most helpful in specialist activities, partially due to its simply recognizable, well known, and ecocnomic model. And but “redskins” is a derogatory identify for American Indians. The variety of grassroots campaigns to alter the identify has risen lately regardless of the present group owner’s statement that the crew won't ever accomplish that.
Mega-events symbolize a big second within the lifetime of a urban, delivering an invaluable lens by which we may well examine their cultural, social, political and financial improvement. within the wake of the overseas Olympic Committee’s (IOC’s) issues approximately ’gigantism’ and wider public issues approximately emerging charges, it used to be significant within the C21st to illustrate the longer term merits that arose for town and international locations from webhosting most well known sporting activities.
- It's How You Play the Game: Reclaiming Sportsmanship and Honor
- Repairing the Athlete's Image: Studies in Sports Image Restoration
- Das Phänomen der Sportsucht (German Edition)
- Sports Coaching Research: Context, Consequences, and Consciousness (Routledge Research in Sport, Culture and Society)
Additional resources for Sport and the English, 1918-1939: Between the Wars
Sport and the English, 1918-1939: Between the Wars by Mike Huggins,Jack Williams