By John Oakland
The 8th version of this highly-praised textbook has been considerably up-to-date and revised to supply scholars of British reports with the correct creation to Britain, its kingdom and folks, politics and govt, schooling, economic climate, media, arts and faith. It comprises:
- discussion of modern advancements and parts of topical curiosity in British society akin to immigration, the recession, devolution and the Scottish Referendum and Britain’s relationships with the U.S. and the ecu
- coverage of the 2015 normal election and its implications for the future
- new full-colour illustrations
- exercises and inquiries to stimulate classification dialogue
- insights into the attitudes of British buyers in the direction of very important issues
- updated feedback for additional examining and precious web pages.
Supported through an absolutely up-to-date spouse site (found at www.routledge.com/cw/oakland) that includes extra routines, quiz questions, an interactive timeline, hyperlinks to suitable articles and video clips on-line and educate suggestions, British Civilization is a crucial advent to the the most important and complicated identities of england previous and current.
Read Online or Download British Civilization: An Introduction PDF
Best uk history books
The miners' lockout of 1926 was once a pivotal second in British twentieth-century heritage. starting with the heady days of the final strike, it persevered for seven months and affected 1000000 miners. In County Durham, the place nearly 3 in each ten grownup males labored within the coal undefined, its impression used to be profound.
The competition of england in 1951 reworked the way in which humans observed their war-ravaged country. Giving Britons an intimate event of latest layout and glossy construction, it helped them settle for a panorama lower than reconstruction, and taken desire of a higher international to return. The competition of england: A Land and Its humans travels past the Festival’s superb centrepiece at London’s South financial institution, to occasions held the size and breadth of the 4 countries, to which 1000s of the country’s maximum architects, artists and architects contributed.
In 1918, the British Expeditionary strength (BEF) performed a severe function in defeating the German military and therefore successful the 1st global battle. This 'Hundred Days' crusade (August to November 1918) was once the best sequence of land victories in British army historical past. 1918 additionally observed the construction of the Royal Air strength, the world's first autonomous air provider, from the Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air carrier.
We are living in a time of significant social, political and financial challenge that many date to the cave in of the worldwide banking procedure in 2008. Many are discovering it tricky to contextualise the hardships that experience taken position within the years following on from these occasions. it really is tricky to discover the solutions in our current media panorama, or in a political and highbrow weather that keeps to laud capitalism because the successful economy popping out of either international conflict II and the tip of the chilly warfare, which has develop into over the past century synonymous with democracy itself.
- Very Different, But Much the Same: The Evolution of English Society Since 1714
- Empire and Globalisation: Networks of People, Goods and Capital in the British World, c.1850-1914
- The Continental Commitment: Britain, Hanover and Interventionism 1714-1793
- Police Courts in Nineteenth-Century Scotland, Volume 1: Magistrates, Media and the Masses
- God and Mystery in Words: Experience through Metaphor and Drama
- Dieppe: The Greatest Air Battle:
Additional resources for British Civilization: An Introduction
British Civilization: An Introduction by John Oakland